We are not a regular bank, we’re a hyper-scale Neobank with millions of customers. We think like a start-up, with the benefit of having the support of a large, established brand.
Macquarie Bank provides personal banking, wealth management, business banking and vehicle and equipment leasing products and services to retail customers, advisers, brokers and other businesses across Australia. That includes online and mobile banking, mortgages, bank accounts, credit/debit cards, online share trading, investment management and car leasing, to name just a few.
As a developer in our team, you will build and maintain microservices using industry best practices. This includes learning about the business, building and maintain high quality software in a DevOps manner, and help automate its testing and delivery.
You’ll work in a small team that is responsible for building some of the key APIs that power our award-winning online and mobile banking platforms for everyday banking customers. The features we build are key to providing a great experience for our customers.
We use both Java and Scala. But forget about your usual Java EE stack. Our APIs are Microservices developed using Spring Boot. Our main database is Cassandra but we also use AWS RDS. We use Spark for processing and Solr and Elasticsearch to provide our search capability, and Kafka for events distribution and streaming. All our services are containerised using Docker and deployed to Openshift, GKE or Kubernetes on the cloud.
You’ll need to:
- Have excellent verbal and communication skills to be able to effectively work within in a team and across different teams and businesses.
- Efficiently work autonomously with strong problem-solving skills. Learn rapidly and is eager to work with new and unfamiliar technologies.
- Essential skills and experience:
- Hands-on and proven skills with Java 8+ and/or Scala
- In depth knowledge of Spring Boot
- Experience in design and implementation of REST services
- Experience working with a microservices architecture and in a DevOps environment
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience using continuous deployment and delivery (CI/CD), such as Atlassian tools (ex. BitBucket/Stash, Jira, Bamboo, etc.) and their application to Agile environments
- Experience with Spark, Camel and/or Akka
- Experience working with search technologies such as Solr or Elasticsearch
- Experience working with Cassandra or other non-relational databases
- Experience working with Kafka or other messaging providers
- Experience with using Gradle
As a Digital Bank, software engineering is at the core of what we do. Our engineers operate in an autonomous environment where they are empowered to “do it right” and continuously learn, becoming masters in their craft. If you would like to know more, read our Engineering Blog, where our engineers openly share their experiences: https://medium.com/macquarie-engineering-blog
If this sounds like the role for you, please apply!
About the Corporate Operations Group
The Corporate Operations Group brings together specialist support services in Digital Transformation & Data, Technology, Market Operations, Human Resources, Business Services, Business Improvement & Strategy, and the Macquarie Group Foundation. The Corporate Operations Group’s purpose is to power the entrepreneurial enterprise.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The diversity of our people is one of our greatest strengths, and in combination with our inclusive environment, it enables us to deliver innovative and sustainable outcomes for our people, clients, shareholders and communities. From day one, you'll be encouraged to be yourself and supported to perform at your best. If our purpose of ‘empowering people to innovate and invest for a better future’ is as inspiring to you as it is to us, please apply. With the right technology, support and resources, our people can work in a range of flexible ways.
We are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. We encourage candidates to speak with a member of our recruitment team if you require adjustments to our recruitment process to support you, and the type of working arrangements that would help you thrive.